Tuesday, February 26, 2008

New Beginnings



Last Friday night Amanda spent and I spent out last night together in the house. We cooked (ordered) dinner and drank wine while we did our last boxes. The truth is that we had basically packed everything up so there wasn’t much to do.

We watched the Wire (now on season 2) and then Amanda went to bed and I watched Bill Maher as I took apart my DVD player. I would’ve documented everything only that I couldn’t find the camera charger. (I found it Saturday morning).

We woke up early sat morning and did the final packing. At about 730, the guy who is moving our apartment came in and finally checked out our pad. We were busy and simply wanted him to tell us if he was interested in our air conditioners or not but instead he launched onto a dissertation on how he might decorate the apartment. Here’s the thing, we just don’t care. We don’t care what you are going to do and how you are going to do it. Just that you give us money for the air conditioners and get out.

Then the movers came. And they were quick, and before we knew it our apartment was empty. It was just odd. And it felt odd to see it become naked and bare so quickly (You can see the video from before). I guess it shows you that home is really created from what you put into it and…well stop me before I get cheesy.

Moving in with your in-laws is just an odd experience. There’s no other way to put it. You can have the nicest, most understanding in-laws in the world, (as I believe I do) and it still feels un-natural. Imagine having lived essentially on your own for 12 years and suddenly you are under someone else’s roof. Their rules. Their stuff. You no longer have things your way or in your set up.

You get into your room and you have less closet space. Less fridge space. The TV in your room is broken! (The horror!)

It’s actually not that bad, but just feels odd and I think we both feel uprooted. But then again it’s only been a few days so I can’t fully comment. They’ve been great and have only asked a few common sense of things of us which I think we can handle.

This of course brings us to an update on the apartment.
We delivered our co-op package plus a check for their auditors a little under a month ago. This big abacus was created for 3 other apartments to verify and a month later, we don’t know what is going on. At the same time, we are trying to work with the other couple to determine a possible closing date. Right now we are aiming for the 23rd of April, although we can’t actually choose a closing date until we meet/get approved by the board.

It just places us in a bit of frustrating limbo.

I spoke with our attorney who is speaking with the seller’s attorney to find out just what the heck is going on.

This is why buying an apartment sucks…

No comments: